Thursday, October 19, 2006

Sing Us a Song, You're the Piano Pan...

Well we're all in the mood for a melody, and you've got us feelin' alright....

Okay, sorry. Yes, I'm a dork, but listen people, what you need to remember here is that I survived with my sense of humor (such as it is) intact after Wednesday's Halloween parade at the senior center. If it had actually been, in fact, a "parade," maybe I wouldn't have needed that infusion of alcohol or sedatives so badly, but it was so NOT a parade, but rather a....swarm. A mass. A miasma of preschoolers and toddlers sweating in their chicken suits and lion costumes, or, like Lily, bumping into doorways with her pixie wings, and all moving en masse toward the hapless old folks with their arthiritic hands curled around the Tootsie Rolls they would then very slowly, very purposefully, very carefully place into each child's bucket. And then there was a craft! And melting ice cream cones! And marching across the hot parking lot from the freewheelin' independent-livin' retiree section with their sweating pitcher of margaritas sitting on the sideboard that I eyed longingly (as did Edna and Marge, no doubt) to the locked-down Alzheimer's wing!

So here for your viewing pleasure is my piano-playin' Peter Pan. He rocked the crowd with his inspired noodling of the ivories, only just slightly less than he jarred 'em earlier with his eardrum-piercing chimp shrieks when he saw me deliver our donated bag of candy to an aid and then had the nerve not to immediately give him some, per his request. (Yes, this is all our fault, because we thought it was so, so cute to teach him to sing "I Want Candy," and bop his curly little head to the tune.)

So, Happy Halloween to you. I can say it now, rather than waiting for the end of the month, because I was in the Macy's shoe department two weeks ago, and they'd already busted out with their huge, twinkling Christmas wreaths. Oh, and tomorrow? Tomorrow we're doing Disneyland. And no, we are not going in costume, and if there are any parades, we'll just be watching, not participating, if I have any say in the matter at all.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Chicky said...

Love this picture...aren't toddlers the best? I'm envying your Disney trip, but I'm planning a stealth Christmas present for my family to get us all annual passes. Shhh!!!

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home